Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Joel Cossette - Songs About Anxiety. And Stuff

Joel Cossette - Songs About Anxiety. And Stuff


This review is going to be a bit selfish, a bit personal, and a bit cathartic. I'm going to bet pretty much all of you reading this have no idea who this person is. Joel Cossette is a young Canadian singer/song writer, originally with a band called High Hopes, he's been on his own for a while now. Honestly I can't remember how I discovered his music but I'm so glad I have. Earnest, raw, and emotional lyrics being belted out by an amazing voice, it speaks to me.

That's why I said that this is personal for me. I connect on an emotional level to the lyrics. Talking about feelings of inadequacies, social anxiety, and just emotions that can be utterly overwhelming to deal with. It's rare for me personally to connect like this to lyrics in a song. I might identify with a line or theme but never an entire song or album. It makes this EP have a much larger impact. I really believe these are things we all deal with, some more than others, but are afraid to talk about. Joel puts it out there in the open for all to see.

While It's mostly slower music, songs like F**ck You Loneliness definitely have a ton of energy. Same with the closing song Melancholia which channels another brilliant song writer Bright Eyes aka Conor Oberst, whether intentional or not. Deep and insightful the lyrics take the front stage, but also his voice has an amazing range and easily implants the emotions the lyrics convey. 

Like I said I'm sure not many if any at all know who Joel Cossette is, but you should. People like this making identifiable, raw, and earnest music, need all the support they can get. Whether it's with a band or solo, here's hoping we hear a lot more of this amazing song writer. 

Buy it on iTunes


No comments:

Post a Comment